Saturday, August 1, 2009

Week 5 prompt

How do issues such as authorship, copyright and open access impact your desire, ability and willingness to engage in produsage, both personally and professionally?

I don't think that copyright and authorship would have a huge impact on my desire or willingness to engage in produsage in my personal or professional field.
What I post in my personal blogs only allows my particular to see, and most of my posts are just my rambling thoughts. I rarely posted something on Twitter and Facebook, so I don't need to worry any copyright issue so much on there. However, the photos I have placed on Flickr and Google Photo have started to get me worried about copyright issues. Because a personal photo that was shared by one of my friends in a photo sharing website was misused and edited without her consent or permission or noticed and had been remixed and re-uploaded to a travel agency website. One friend accidentally went to this website and found this situation. Subsequently the photo was removed from the site after my friend emailed the website and complain the issue. After this thing happened, I still continue upload my photos to the photo sharing websites, but I set the permissions for my photos and only allow my friends and family to access them.

In my professional field, I would very carefully cite and quote all reference materials as I do in writing papers. On the other hand, I also concern the authorship and copyright issue. I can understand and appreciate the danger that lies in the world wide web. It is relatively easy to use photos or online content without permission. It is hardly possible to prevent from every single illegal use or distribution in a virtual environment. I may not be able to check if someone copy my writing or misuse my photos. Hence, my attitude toward online postings is cautious optimism. I will still be encouraged to share my thoughts and views on public forums and blogs but will refrain posting private photos and contents. In addition, I would kindly remind them to be sure to cite the resource and add watermark to protect the images if needed.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first time I have actually heard of a picture being used commercially without permission. I am glad to hear they took it down. I also set permissions for photos.

    I agree with refraining from posting private contents on public access sites. What would you do if your kind reminder to cite you were not followed?

    ReplyDelete