Friday, August 7, 2009

Week 6 prompt

How do issues such as authorship, copyright and open access impact your desire, ability and willingness to engage in produsage, both personally and professionally?

Wow! The six week intense class is going to finish so soon. By this class, I have tried many Web 2.0 technologies, Twitter, Facebook, Diigo, Flickr, Youtube, Technorati, Citeulike, Delicious, etc. Some of them I have been very familiar with, some of them I have heard but never have a chance to try, and some of them I have just learned from this class. There are so many useful tools and functions that I would definitely keep using them in the future. For example, I often use Youtube to search tutorials to learn new technologies and its features. Citeulike is a novel tool for me, but I know I will use it from now on as a PhD student to help me collect academic articles and search and expand the research topics I’m interested in. Flickr can be not only a simple photo sharing website but also a visual learning tool that could enable a community to discuss and exchange ideas through one or a series of specific photos.

Also, I have been very familiar with Blogs and Wikis, and will keep use them to collect my personal ideas (in personal and professional fields) and use wikis with classmates to collaborate group projects.

Although I believe those innovative technologies could be used to enhance learning experience, there are so many approaches and applications that I have never thought about that before. For example, an instructor can use Twitter as a means to communicate students and parents, and incorporate Twitter into the course to facilitate collaborative learning. One of the characteristics of Web 2.0 tools is information sharing. I think this can be exploited to provide a platform for feedback from peers, instructors, or a community of practices. However, no matter what technologies you, as an instructional designer, will use, the most important thing is how you can incorporate them to increase motivation and promote learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment